Author Topic: Things to consider before taking on a dog - please read  (Read 6558 times)

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
Things to consider before taking on a dog - please read
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
** Please note - we will never rehome littermates together, or puppies of a similar age **

What experience do you have?
Many dogs need both mental and physical exercise to keep them happy and fulfilled. They will not be happy with a ten minute walk and are likely to develop behavioural problems if not given both the mental and physical activity that they require. While experience is not essential for all dogs, many would be better suited to people who have had previous experience, perhaps of the breed. Please consider the age and breed of the dog and whether you can give that dog all that it needs.

Who will be the main carer?
In many cases the majority of the dog's care falls to one person. Is this person happy that they have the time and energy to devote to the dog? In families with children it is often mum who has to look after both the children and the dog. The dog is like having another child in the family with requirements of its own. Some breeds are slow to mature. In many cases this is at least three years old.

Do you work?
Dogs need your time and attention and should not be left alone for long periods of time or they may become bored and frustrated. They are then likely to start to make their own entertainment! If all adults in the house work have you considered how you will ensure that the dog is cared for (dog day care, dog walkers etc).

Is your garden secure?
Some breeds are a very agile and others are escape artists. You need to ensure that your garden is safe and the dog cannot get out.

Are there any children/grandchildren in the house (including regular visitors)?
Great care must be taken where children are involved. Before taking on a dog it is important that you consider how any children are likely to treat the dog. Everyone likes to think that their children are little angels but you need to be sure that your child will not torment the dog and will give it its own space when required.

Have you any other pets?
When taking on a dog you need to consider other pets in the house. These are your responsibility too and you need to be confident that they will not be too upset by the introduction of a dog into your house.  Can your other pets be kept safe and out of the way of a dog if necessary? If your other pet is a dog, how do they get on with other dogs that visit the house?

Are you willing to work on training a dog?
All dogs need to be trained, whatever their background. Have you the time, patience and skills needed to work on training the dog and resolving any behavioral issues? Are you willing to take professional advice if you need to? If these issues cannot be resolved would you be able to live with a dog with less than perfect behaviour?

Can you give a dog the exercise it needs?
Many dogs needs a lot of exercise and will need walking everyday regardless of how busy you are or how bad the weather is.

Can you cope with the dirt?
Dogs can bring in a lot of dirt especially in the winter.  When a dog shakes dirt and dust will fly all around the house. Can you live with this?

What are your future plans?
A dog is for life. Depending on the dog's age and breed that can mean around 15 years commitment on your part. You need to be sure that you can include your dog in any future plans you make and not let it down when it suits you.

The Meaning of Rescue

Now that I'm home, bathed, settled and fed,
All nicely tucked up in my warm new bed,
I'd like to open my baggage, lest I forget,
There is so much to carry, so much to forget.

Hmm….. there it is, right on the top,
Let's unpack Loneliness, Heartache and Loss,
And there by my leash hides Fear and Shame,
As I look on these things I tried so hard to leave,
I still have to unpack my baggage called Pain.

I loved them, the others, the ones who left me,
But I wasn't good enough, for they didn't want me,
Will you add to my baggage?
Will you help me unpack?
Or will you just look at my things
And send me right back?

Do you have the time to help me unpack?
To put away my baggage, to never repack?
I pray that you do, I'm so tired you see,
But I do come with baggage,
Will you still want me?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:34:17 AM by DextersMum »
Fran, Dexter, Princess Maisie and Anya xx
Bridge babies Barnaby & Mollie