Florence

Author Topic: Four Paws Investing in High Viz Re-Homing Dog Waistcoats  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Marina

• Fundraising
Four Paws Investing in High Viz Re-Homing Dog Waistcoats
« on: July 09, 2011, 06:43:23 AM »
At many of the events that I have been to recently I have been asked if my own rescues are looking for homes  :confused: :confused:

Some people may be shy to ask if a dog was looking for a home but with one of the yellow high viz jackets on all foster dogs at events looking for homes, this may add more interest :grouphug:

Are they expensive to buy :dunno:   they will be well worth the money if a dog is re-homed,  :inlove: plus they can be used again and again :wave:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:20:15 AM by DextersMum »
"Generally, or at least very often, people with a deep interest in animals are the best people around."  -- Roger Caras

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
Re: Four Paws Investing in High Viz Re-Homing Dog Waistcoats
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:21:56 AM »
Hi Marina  :wave:

We haven't tried Hi-Viz jackets but we do use a couple of other things to show a dog is looking for a home.

One is a bandana - Audrey (Peppa) makes lovely purple bandanas which either say Happily Homed by FP or Please Adopt Me.  They're sold out currently but they worked really well and hopefully Audrey can be tempted to make some more  ;D  http://forum.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk/index.php?topic=4584.0

The other thing is a collar/lead with the words - I'm Looking for a Home (or similar - these can be personalised) which are done by the people who do the Four Paws clothing http://www.waggitt.co.uk/acatalog/CLICK_TO_VIEW_OUR_EMBROIDERED_DOG_LEADS_COLLARS.html

We're very lucky in that mostly foster carers are happy to cover the cost for these things as they re-use them for all their fosters but it might be that we should keep a central supply.  We will discuss.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:20:51 AM by DextersMum »
Fran, Dexter, Princess Maisie and Anya xx
Bridge babies Barnaby & Mollie

Offline DizzyDogs

• Fosterers
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »
In Margam Park Dog Trust show we were next to Hope Rescue and their dogs had these vests on and it did seem to create interest people were drawn to the dogs with the vests on but I would not have put one on, on that Saturday because it was so hot.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:21:03 AM by DextersMum »
Mad about dogs

dukeandrubysmum

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:31:34 AM »
I've seen the hi viz waistcoats in £1 shops - so they're not dear to buy - you just need someone who's good at sewing - and that's not me!!!! :-[

Offline Marina

• Fundraising
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:40:20 AM »
Yes, Margam Park is where I saw them, and it was a hot day that day, being yellow High Viz these do detract the sunlight and being a waistcoat should be cooler.... :hug:

They could also be used on cooler days (which we get more of than hotter days in this country   :'( :'( :'( )
when fosters are taking their dogs out for walkies.....

As well as someone sewing, we could use marker pens on these £1.00 coats for advertising, just need someone with a steady hand :wave:
"Generally, or at least very often, people with a deep interest in animals are the best people around."  -- Roger Caras

Offline Symdaddy

• Symdaddy Journal
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:43:08 AM »
As well as someone sewing, we could use marker pens on these £1.00 coats for advertising, just need someone with a steady hand :wave:

Use a stencil! Easy-peasy ... prob'ly.
My Dog is my friend, as I am his!

http://symdaddy-humour.blogspot.com/

Offline winterwren

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
It is something we can talk about but Audrey is our resident creative bod who has looked into depth into the hight viz coats. I am sure when she gets back from her hols she can add her experience x

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
    • Friends of Hailey Park (Cardiff)
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 13:37:21 PM »
clas olhlson in cardiff do some cheap hi viz for dogs that can be easily screen printed - in same way as hiz viz vests I used to get printed for FP ;)

I have 2 of these vests for my 2

Its probably easier to source coats already made then get printed rather than make them.

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=157029730

these are quite lightweight ones
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 13:41:44 PM by FrankieBeee »

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
    • Friends of Hailey Park (Cardiff)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 13:47:53 PM »
must admit though that people do like the purple bandanas when they see them and they're different than other rescues

plus people do mistake you for having a service dog in training with a hi viz on (Wilf has a hi viz harness and I've even been asked by the police if he's a service dog in training on more than one occasion)