Author Topic: Foster carers also looking after holiday pets  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Marina

• Fundraising
Foster carers also looking after holiday pets
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:07:21 AM »
Would it be an option for fosteres to take in pets for holidaymakers ?

(all proceeds to charity and of course pending space available with poundies always being first to take spare space)   ???

This would also encourage more fosteres if they were short of money if maybe they took 25% and the 75% going to charity :thinkin: :thinkin:
"Generally, or at least very often, people with a deep interest in animals are the best people around."  -- Roger Caras

Offline MadCass&Bob

• Fundraising
Re: Foster carers also looking after holiday pets
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:09:52 AM »
i "think" you need some sort of licence to do this??? not sure - would be a great idea but not sure if its possible in terms of insurance etc

Offline Marina

• Fundraising
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:13:53 AM »
I will look into the cost of a license - and make some enquiries
"Generally, or at least very often, people with a deep interest in animals are the best people around."  -- Roger Caras

Offline Marina

• Fundraising
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 07:16:53 AM »
If it was provided as a service and the payment was a donation would a licence be needed?

I can see your point on insurance though, I will look deeper into this ???

Offline MadCass&Bob

• Fundraising
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 07:21:27 AM »
not sure - i just seem to remember seeing something similar on here before. Im sure one of the more knowledgable fourpawsians will be along soon to advise  ;D

Offline Marina

• Fundraising
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:22:48 AM »
Ok, I will keep an eye on this thread before I make any more enquires :redface:

Offline Laura

• Fundraising
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 18:17:18 PM »
I carry out pet sitting for two different companies, therefore am covered by their insurance.  Anyone carrying out petsitting would need insurance to cover many things including public liability, damage to property, etc.

A quote from the manual of one of the companies it sit for "Carers who home board are required to obtain a home boarding licence from their Local Authority".

Another thing to bear in mind that all pet sitters are required to provide a valid police check certificate, and most clients would expect this.

Offline Laura

• Fundraising
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 18:19:47 PM »
Duty of Care

Animal Welfare Act 2007

April 2007 saw the introduction of the Animal Welfare Act.  A full copy of this can be obtained via DEFRA or from the internet http://www.defra.gov.uk
In accordance with this Act and other Acts listed below, Carers who provide home boarding must provide:

•   A bedding space that is clean, dry and warm and free from draught

•   An area that animals can use for toilet purposes and that is regularly   maintained

•   Food and exercise as requested by the owner and follow the pets normal daily    routine

•   Carers should arrange to meet owners as far in advance of the booking as possible and ensure that all parties are satisfied that the pet care can be carried out to a satisfactory standard

•   Animals belonging to the Carer must be currently inoculated against standard infections as recommended by a veterinary

•   Dog Walkers are to walk no more than 4 (four) dogs at any one time.  Proper control must be administered and excrement disposed of safely and in accordance with Bylaws.

•   Carers must abide by all current Health and Safety legislation, Local Laws and Byelaws Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963, the Clean Neighbourhoods & Environment Act 2005 and the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

•   Carers must obtain a home boarding  licence from the Local Authority

Offline Ellie

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 19:51:05 PM »
What if it was just a 'favour' and nothing offical?

Maybe I shouldn't be suggesting that!  :legit: :wasntme:

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
    • Friends of Hailey Park (Cardiff)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 20:14:17 PM »
What if it was just a 'favour' and nothing offical?

Maybe I shouldn't be suggesting that!  :legit: :wasntme:

it would be official if you advertise your services

doing a favour is more like a one-off thing - I look after a friends dog in my house and feed their cats at their house when they're on their hols but they're the only people I help with and wouldn't want to do more anyway.