Author Topic: New idea? wedding dresses  (Read 10252 times)

Offline WelshDana

New idea? wedding dresses
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:31:59 PM »
While hanging some clothes up last night I noticed my very lovely and very expensive wedding dress hanging up all nicely cleaned and packaged.  That got me to thinking, Oxfam in London has a very successful second hand wedding dress shop.  People donate their dresses (recent designs, not 80's horrors) and brides to be make appointments to visit, try and buy.

What do you think about attending at wedding fayres and asking brides to be to commit to giving their dress to FP after they have had their perfect day to save doggy lives. We could take their details, day of wedding, e-mail and follow up on everyone who says yes.  We could make nice flyer cards and put them in the wedding shops asking brides to consider this as a way of making their day even more special.  We could give them a nice certificate to go in the back of their wedding album to acknowledge what the have done.

We dont need a shop front if we advertised properly, I have a spare bedroom that i currently use (or dont use) as a gym where I could store gowns, put up a big mirror etc...we could get past any laws on vending from home by selling the dresses 'by donation'.  Aso have an ebay shop? If we could sell one or two a month theres the potential for an income stream of £3-600 per month depending on the dress designer etc...

Out lay would be miminal, a  nice big professional photo of a lady in a wedding dress covered in rescue doggies (maybe Ian, poochography would help) for the wedding fayre stand and flyers.  And some nice certificates for the wedding dress donees.  I dont know if we would have to pay for a little stans at wedding fayres but maybe they would be kind enough to let us have space for free.
What do you think?  xxx
Forever homes for Sera 26-2-11, Gracie 8-3-11, Rosie 12-4-11, Floss 12-4-11, Harvey 8-5-11, Goki 24-6-11, Brownie Jayne 1-08-11, Little Dave 5-8-11, Luigi 5-9-11, Pumpkin 11-11-11, Pie 27-11-11,Jacob 3-11-11,Ayrton&Senna 3-1-12,Frankie 2-2-12

Offline Jennah

Re: New idea? wedding dresses
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:18:16 AM »
 :wave:  Sounds like you have it all figured out. If there are no costs (or very little costs) then I think it would be worth giving it a go. I'm sure my sister would do the photo for free for us - shes not exactly professional but she has done a lot of weddings.
The biggest problem I can see is trying to get new brides to sperate with their new dress as I think most people like to keep them hanging aound for a good while after they get married. If it works though it would be a great income for 4 paws   :)

Offline Trudes

• RIPJoey Xxxxxxx <3<3<3<3<3
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:00:37 AM »
I still have my dress. It needs a clean and a small repair due to me getting a bit tipsy though  :redface: :rofl:

footprint

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:04:02 AM »
Im looking for a wedding dress x x

Julieann

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:24:57 AM »
I think mum and dad may have my daughters bridesmaid dress up in their loft I'll ask  :)

Offline Trudes

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:25:50 AM »
My dress probably size 8 ish

footprint

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »
My dress probably size 8 ish

Thats beautiful. x

Offline Trudes

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »
Thanks  ;D

Offline pebs

• Fundraising
  • Owain and Liquie :)
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »
maybe u could put his idea across to comprehensives for prom dresses too x
Four Paws prince Liquorice and princess buffy and bridge baby Tess xx

"One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why."

footprint

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
I have a gorgeous ball dress. x

Offline winterwren

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 11:34:46 AM »
I have a bridesmade dress availabe too

Offline WelshDana

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 17:43:20 PM »
Okay, so I'm gonna have a go at setting this up thinking of calling it gowns4paws or brides4paws in keeping with the rest of FP fundraising.  Thanks for the prom dress idea Pebs and the bridesmaid one Seran, I think we can also cover formal dresses and mother of the bride.  Thank you Julianne for snooping for a BM dress.  Trudes you do look gorgeous.

Jennah if your sister could do some photos that would be great, how about you being the bride in the photo with the doggies too?
I'm going to start a new thread later of things we need to get going so any help would be appreciated.  First of all I'd really like someone to help take the lead on this with me and the next that comes to mind is that we need an IT wizard to build a web site and e-bay shop and who is able to give the time to help me/teach me how to maintain them.

Dawn xxx
Forever homes for Sera 26-2-11, Gracie 8-3-11, Rosie 12-4-11, Floss 12-4-11, Harvey 8-5-11, Goki 24-6-11, Brownie Jayne 1-08-11, Little Dave 5-8-11, Luigi 5-9-11, Pumpkin 11-11-11, Pie 27-11-11,Jacob 3-11-11,Ayrton&Senna 3-1-12,Frankie 2-2-12

Offline Jennah

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 18:07:57 PM »
Okey dokey i'll talk to my sister.

My step brother is a computer wizz so I'll ask him about the web site. He may be super busy though so cant guarantee he will be able to help us

Offline Peppa

• Fundraising
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 18:11:11 PM »
 :clap: Well done Dawn. I think Gowns4Paws is a goer, encompasses the bride, the bridesmaid and the prom  :clap:
A house without either a cat or a dog is too clean and quiet.

Offline winterwren

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 18:12:15 PM »
Can you hold tight on the website for now as it will all have to be done in line with the charity commission etc. I will make sure the trustees have a chat about how best to go forward. Doesnt stop you from planning though xxx  :hug: