Florence

Author Topic: Dog Aggressive Dogs - Fear Aggression. How to overcome it  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Bunter

Dog Aggressive Dogs - Fear Aggression. How to overcome it
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
Dr Yin YouTube Clip

Podee is aggressive to other dogs due to fear. I first show his aggressive behavior and how I handle him in the emergency situation. Then I go back and do the foundation training that he needs in order to work more safely and effectively around other dogs. Once he's had this training I work him around an unfamiliar dog. He's happier and more focused on me around the other dog. Now he's able to learn that good things happen to him around new dogs. This videos is narrated. It's from the textbook/DVD Low Stress Handling, Restraint and Behavior Modification of Dogs and Cats (www.AskDrYin.com/lowstresshandling)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:30:18 AM by Bunter »

Offline Bunter

Re: Dog Aggressive Dogs - Fear Aggression. How to overcome it
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »
Videos and Podcasts

There are a range of videos and podcasts on this website, including:

Working with on leash Aggression
Trainer Jean Donaldson demonstrates tools and techniques for safely and effectively handling dog–reactive shelter dogs during behavior modification sessions. Commentary by veterinarian and animal behaviorist, Ian Dunbar describes how use of this technique impacts body language between dogs.

Tips for Handling a Dog-Reactive Dog
Ian Dunbar and Claude help Jean Donaldson work with a leash–reactive shelter dog.

Jean show us the baseline leash–reactive behaviors that certainly may have contributed to this dog being surrendered to the shelter. At the sight of another dog, the dog becomes unmanageable, barking, lunging and pulling so strongly that it’s impossible to hold on to her.

Response Substitution with Fearful Dog
The owner of a bullmastiff comes to Dr. Ciribassi reporting fearful and sometimes aggressive behavior, particularly on walks and when encountering other dogs. Dr. Ciribassi recommends a program of response substitution. As part of this process, he recommends using the Gentle Leader to help provide better management of the dog on leash. In this segment, the owner learns how to fit and put on the Gentle Leader.