Author Topic: Millie, Forever Gorgeous  (Read 8896 times)

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
Millie, Forever Gorgeous
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:47:00 AM »
Scroll down to see about Millie's life when she was in foster then found her forever home but sadly years later has now gone to the bridge

Breed: Labrador
Dog Friendly: Yes, has previously lived with another dog
Cat Friendly: No, will chase
Child Friendly: Not tested but no reason to think not
Fostered: West Oxfordshire

** Recent update at bottom of this post **

Please meet Millie, she is a 5 year old black Labrador.  She was handed in to us following a relationship breakdown because she was being left home alone all day.  She had lived with her previous owners since she was a pup so is obviously feeling a little confused at the moment  :(

She’s a very friendly and loving girl, a little nervous but I think that’s probably down to all the recent changes in her life.  She’s getting lots of TLC and hopefully her confidence will soon return.

Millie’s bright and eager to please.  She has basic obedience, will give a paw or beg for treats, responds well to her name and is fully housetrained.  I haven’t tested her recall outside the garden yet but I’m not anticipating any problems.  She’s strong on the lead and pulls initially but calms down once she’s been out for a while.  She can be quite bouncy and is learning that having all four paws on the floor gets her more attention than jumping up.  She isn't keen on being left but I've tested her out and she only whines for a couple of minutes before settling down to sleep.

Millie lived with another dog in her previous home but she’s nervous around the two resident labs, particularly the female, which sometimes comes out as some warning growls.  My two are doing their best to be friends so hopefully she will soon relax with them. 

She would be fine homed as an only dog but equally in time may blossom with a steady dog for company.  Although she could be homed with dog savvy children aged about 8+, she would probably be too bouncy for younger ones.

Please put in an application in the first instance if you are interested in Millie. Approved applications will be home checked..

Details of our adoption procedures and adoption application form are  here

** Update 1/5/2010: Millie has been with me about a week and a half now.  Now that her confidence is returning, she’s shown that she’s a happy girl, gets on with other dogs (she’s a little submissive if anything), is gentle with children and generally loves everyone and everything.  She loves her walks and although fairly strong on the lead, this is something we’re working on.  Off-lead she’s responsive when called and doesn’t tend to go too far away.  She’s fully housetrained and has been left for a couple of hours in the company of my dogs without any problems at all. 

Could you offer this lovely girl her perfect forever home?  She will be a loyal, loving and fun addition to any household.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 21:19:04 PM by FrankieBeee »
Fran, Dexter, Princess Maisie and Anya xx
Bridge babies Barnaby & Mollie

Offline Rosie Truffle

• www.getyourlead.co.uk
Re: Millie - Gorgeous Black Lab - Fostered in Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 08:19:55 AM »
Another beauty to test my resistance! :inlove:
One dog is NEVER enough!

Offline floras mummy

• Flora Dora the Explorer :)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »
She is gorgeous Fran! Hope she isnt waiting long!! :luv:
Dogs are miracles with paws!
Susan Kennedy

Julieann

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:48:37 AM »
She's lovely Fran .. I'm sure Mac would be smitten  :inlove: Mac was like her, kept bouncing, didn't take him long to realise that he got more attention when his bum was on the floor  ;D

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 10:23:49 AM »
She's lovely Fran .. I'm sure Mac would be smitten  :inlove: Mac was like her, kept bouncing, didn't take him long to realise that he got more attention when his bum was on the floor  ;D

I'm sure he would too  :luv:  I'm looking forward to her getting a little bit more confident then I think she'll relax and enjoying playing with Dex & Maisie.   Til then, she gets extra TLC  :grouphug:

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 16:11:59 PM »

Just back from a walk with Millie.  We were in a copse which is a big area but is fenced in so pretty secure and she behaved brilliantly off-lead, never going far from us and responding well when called back.  We stopped for a sit down and a gossip about half way round and she just wandered about nearby and then lay down to wait for us to start walking again  :clap:

She wasn't all that good on the lead on the way but with the help of a harness she's manageable.  On the way back though, she walked perfectly, not even pulling.

I think she's starting to come out of herself a little bit already  :grouphug:

winterwren

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 16:32:13 PM »
Lovely write up Fran x

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:52:07 AM »

Making herself at home  :inlove:  :luv: 

Offline floras mummy

• Flora Dora the Explorer :)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 07:44:24 AM »
Awww bless her! I think that she looks more settled now Fran.  :luv:
Dogs are miracles with paws!
Susan Kennedy

Julieann

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 07:46:28 AM »
wow you allow her on your leather sofa  :o dogs are banned on mine after seeing the mark's Pauline gets on hers  ::)  ;D

Julieann

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:47:59 AM »
she definately is lovely though Fran .. want a swop, Rolo for Millie  :rofl: no  - perhaps not  ;D

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 07:48:22 AM »
 :wave: she is  ;D.  Its amazing to see the change in her just in a couple of days.  Its so lovely to see her starting to getting her confidence back  :luv:

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 07:51:45 AM »
wow you allow her on your leather sofa  :o dogs are banned on mine after seeing the mark's Pauline gets on hers  ::)  ;D

Afraid so, when it was new I think I lasted about 2 weeks with my no dogs on the furniture rule  ::)  :redface:  I've had it a while now, could do with being replaced really but I can't quite see the point  :rofl:

Jo - you might want to move some of these to Millie's bit on the Chat thread, sorry  :hide:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:21:54 AM by DextersMum »

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 17:20:42 PM »

What a difference a day makes!   Today we've had no growling at all between the girls, I think Maisie has realised that Millie is going to be around for a little while so she may as well make the best of it!   Earlier they were snuggled up on the sofa together  :luv:.  She's much calmer and more relaxed now and is settling well into our routines. 

Millie met my friend's black lab Poppy today.  She was very nervous initially, and didn't want anything to do with her, but once we were out on our walk and all four dogs (mad dog women r us - cue "you've got your hands full" comments from random passing people!) were off-lead, all was fine. 

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 06:23:21 AM »

Another good walk with Millie this morning.  She's less excitable on the lead now she realises that she's getting regular walks and off-lead her recall is good, she loves to run around but is constantly checking in with me before going off again.  This morning there were horses in one of the fields and she barked at them from a distance but made no attempt to go near them, even with that distraction she came when I called her  :clap:.  Her jumping up is getting less and she now only does it when she's really excited, when I come home, and when her lead comes out.

She's understandably a little insecure still and makes a fuss when she's going to be left on her own, less so when she's with my dogs.  She barks and whines but not for long.  This morning I was out for about 45 minutes with Dex & Maisie (Millie had a separate walk) and when I came back she was fast asleep on the sofa!  I think its probably due to the long hours she was left in her previous home and it would be good for her to find a forever home where there is someone around much of the time.

I love this girl, whoever is lucky enough to adopt her will have a loving and loyal companion  :luv:

I'm trying to get some pictures of choccy, yellow & black labs all together but can't get them to stay still for long enough  ::) .. I'm working on it so watch this space  ;D