Author Topic: Other suggested venues  (Read 16522 times)

Offline emilyjw

Other suggested venues
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
I've split this off into a discussion topic on it's own - although I think we probably have something similar under fundraising .... Jo

I guess we need to consider other potential venues as the key is getting the word out, i wonder what would work?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:59:05 PM by Bunter »
Brackeny Boo, a boo of little brain...

Offline Lisalobe

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home
Re: Other
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:16:02 AM »
I guess we need to consider other potential venues as the key is getting the word out, i wonder what would work?

Pugh's Garden Centre just down the road from me is always busy as soon as the sun starts shining so I'll go & speak to them to see if we could do a 'Homes' event or a Meet & Greet?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Offline Love Our Oldies

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:28:59 AM »
Great news we need to get other pah covered. Newport and cwmbran have not been done for awhile.
Hapiness is an Old Grey Nose

Julieann

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »
The new shops around Leckwith stadium spring to mind. I know they're not pet shops but there is an Asda's down there and there is a large covered walkway for us to shelter under if the weather was bad. That doesn't preclude us from walking around the area   :dunno: 'cause there's a very popular Hobbycraft down there as well as a Next Home M&S foods I think plus a Costco SCS ..

Offline emilyjw

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »
The new shops around Leckwith stadium spring to mind. I know they're not pet shops but there is an Asda's down there and there is a large covered walkway for us to shelter under if the weather was bad. That doesn't preclude us from walking around the area   :dunno: 'cause there's a very popular Hobbycraft down there as well as a Next Home M&S foods I think plus a Costco SCS ..

That sounds like a good option... I don't think they have to be places with pet stores just places that would be happy to have us  ;D The hobbycraft I used to go to in Portsmouth way had a pet department and Next do a range of Pet stuff so perhaps they would be two options to contact?

Offline LynneJRT

• JRT's Munchkins, Scooter & Oscar
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 12:11:11 PM »

Style Gardens at Wenvoe (west Cardiff) is similar a Garden Centre to Caerphilly , only bigger.
http://www.stylegardens.co.uk/
On same site is Maidenheadaquatics, Countrywidefarmers and WFT Buidings (log cabins, summerhouses etc)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 21:22:15 PM by LynneJRT »
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
        --Ghandi--

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
    • Friends of Hailey Park (Cardiff)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »

what ideas did you have re walking around - collecting money here

Offline LynneJRT

• JRT's Munchkins, Scooter & Oscar
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
Yes, as the others have said lovely venue,  :clap: just as it is in an industrial production area, people are specifically going to Petwise, as there is nothing else.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
        --Ghandi--

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »
Yes, as the others have said lovely venue,  :clap: just as it is in an industrial production area, people are specifically going to Petwise, as there is nothing else.

was the same when I did a M&G there as well - some events don't need passing trade really just as Llanishen doesn't and some other PAH are in odd places, eg Bridgend PAH  appears to be on its own

Julieann

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 12:49:21 PM »

I suppose so Penny - don't know if it has the same rules as the city centre but a couple of people could be there as it's quite a large area and lots of movement around the shops on weekends

Offline emilyjw

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »

I suppose so Penny - don't know if it has the same rules as the city centre but a couple of people could be there as it's quite a large area and lots of movement around the shops on weekends

Would it be better to approach one shop as a base, say Hobbycraft as an example? I don't know if that would be easier to get off the ground rather than needing to get a license for an area? You could always then ask whether other shops if they are a bit further would be happy to display a poster saying where you are?

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
Re: other
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »
The new shops around Leckwith stadium spring to mind. I know they're not pet shops but there is an Asda's down there and there is a large covered walkway for us to shelter under if the weather was bad. That doesn't preclude us from walking around the area   :dunno: 'cause there's a very popular Hobbycraft down there as well as a Next Home M&S foods I think plus a Costco SCS ..

We would need licenses from the Council + another from Highways as its pedestrianised + another from the management company who own it + when you do a 'street' collection you can't walk around either (and have to be 25 metres apart) - at Llanishen PAH we're only allowed to collect inside their store
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 13:51:20 PM by FrankieBeee »

Offline AnnaW

Re: Other suggested venues
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 21:21:39 PM »
They like to make it easy don't they!  :doh: Would it be easier to go somewhere like a big asda or tesco etc. not linked to other shops (and therefore I assume own the carpark too?) or have I read somewhere that they're difficult to get?
I love my dogs more than chocolate!

Offline Love Our Oldies

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 21:40:14 PM »
Awaiting dates from tesco meant to be  a priority for july to dec dates. Also pen was going to contact asda.
Hapiness is an Old Grey Nose

Offline AnnaW

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 21:55:48 PM »
I knew someone would be on the ball with those!  :beer: I'll try to think of something original...  :tumble:

What about popular beaches or parks in the summer? I guess they'd need a council licence (and good weather)? Barry Island (don't know it particularly well but maybe there's somewhere there)? Outside a stadium on a busy day (although the dogs prob wouldn't like that so may need a fake dog)? Motorway services?
I love my dogs more than chocolate!