Author Topic: House / Toilet Training  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Bunter

House / Toilet Training
« on: January 13, 2010, 21:12:51 PM »
Time and effort needs to be put into toilet training your dog. He’ll not learn by himself. First, he needs to know where the bathroom is. Take him outside and stay with him until he has obliged. When he does, give him lots of treats and praise. Do this every time until you are certain that he’s now housetrained. Until your dog learns to ask how do go out and you have learnt to listen to him, I suggest you take your dog into the garden at regular intervals. How often depends on how young your dog is. I take puppies outside every hour.  Always first thing in the morning, after meals and on waking after a nap. You can even train your dog to go on command! Just use your chosen command, such as hurry up or be quick when your dog is toileting.

It is important to keep an eye on him in the house too and not leave him unattended at first. Any signs that he needs to go – sniffing, circling, seeming agitated – take him straight into the garden.

I do not leave doors to the garden open as a dog cannot always then see that there is a distinction between indoors and outdoors.

They are bound to be accidents at first. Don’t tell your dog off and try not to show displeasure on your face either. By telling your dog off he may not understand that toileting in the house is wrong he may think that toileting is wrong. Full stop. In which case he’ll hide it from you by going somewhere you can’t see or maybe even dispose of it himself. Clear up any accidents thoroughly. A dog will often go in the same place as he has been before so you need to remove the smell.  A solution of biological washing powder is supposed to remove the smell properly.

I'm not a fan of using newspaper or puppy training pads as I think all they do is teach them to use them (indoors) and not to go outside.

Dogs don’t understand the concept that they have done wrong. The slinking away on his belly or that ‘look’ he gives will be in response to you telling him off or look of annoyance on your face. He’s giving you appeasement/calming signals as he knows you are upset with him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 13:39:08 PM by Bunter »

Offline Bunter

Offline Bunter

Re: House / Toilet Training
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 21:52:42 PM »
NB: Please don't panic if your dog does eat its own poo.  While it's not nice, it won't harm them.  Some dogs do this outside anyway  :dunno:

Offline Bunter

Re: House / Toilet Training
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:46:01 AM »
TOILET TRAINING YOUR PUPPY  Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT)