Florence

Author Topic: Help - insurance for dogs over 9 tips please?  (Read 472 times)

Offline GwynPerdi&Benson

Help - insurance for dogs over 9 tips please?
« on: October 30, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »
Hi

Just had renewal for Perdi and its gone up £15 a month. They want £45 per month!!!

I thought I'd shop around so have looked online and they all seem to be the same - at this age - over 9 and in some cases over 8 it is very limiting.

I've always gone for the best that there is because we don't have a lot of money and I couldn't bear to not be able to find how ever much was needed to care for her if she was ill. We don't go on holiday or use kennels but these things seem to be included regardless.

We've only claimed once for a stomache infection and I would want that covered again. 

Now I find however good the in insurance even the top ones, don't cover everything and there's a percentage of every claim. 

It seems like there's no point in going for the best anymore as they don't give any better coverage
Am I right ?
What do you all do please

Which ones are the best for older dogs ?

Any help would be great -

Thank you

Christine
Xx

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
Re: Help - insurance for dogs over 9 tips please?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:27:07 PM »

Hi Christine, I sympathise.  Dexter's premiums (he's 11) have gone up to £113 per month this time  :(   I considered switching but once you have ongoing claims it makes the prospect pretty unattractive.

If you were to switch then most likely Perdi would be excluded from anything to do with her stomach as it would be a pre-existing condition.

The other down side is that with dogs over about 7 or 8 then new insurers generally won't do a whole of life cover which means you can only claim for each condition for 12 months, outside of that it won't be covered, which is useless if the dog has something that is ongoing - Dex has allergies & arthritis both of which are getting ongoing treatment so for that reason I stayed put.

If it was me I wouldn't swap an older dog over but others may have had a different experience.
Fran, Dexter, Princess Maisie and Anya xx
Bridge babies Barnaby & Mollie

Offline alisonp

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 14:10:56 PM »
Hi Christine

Our Holly is 10 and insurance £53 a month, once dogs reach certain age and have pre existing conditions you can't really change.Holly has colitis so we make quite a few claims but would not be covered if we changed policy.
Our old dog Jess went up to £150 a month so we cancelled her policy, had a vets prescription to buy her metacam which was much cheaper.
I have been with Tesco insurance for 13 years now and have been very good.

Offline GwynPerdi&Benson

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 14:33:07 PM »
Thank you both so much, it doesn't make me feel so bad paying £45 if that's the case then.

I just want her to be covered - it's not easy to find large chunks of money is it but would do whatever needs to find it

Thanks again for replying.

Xx

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
    • Friends of Hailey Park (Cardiff)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 23:30:20 PM »
I pay £51 for Lady with Morethan (she's now 12 but I joined with then when she was 9 and at the time tried to get her on to a petplan policy but they would only allow me a 12 month one rather than for life like morethan did) but she's classed as a pedigree so I expect to pay more than if she was a crossbreed - its a good deal though as you only pay one excess per year and not per (new) condition and no percentage excess unless you opt for it to keep premiums down plus mine includes 12 grand's worth of treatment a year including 2 grand's worth of dental treatment (as long as you have seen a vet each year of policy re checkups). They are starting a condition where if you have an elective referral (as opposed to an emergency one) then you go to one of their preferred vets but to be honest you can work round that anyway.

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 23:32:35 PM »

The other down side is that with dogs over about 7 or 8 then new insurers generally won't do a whole of life cover which means you can only claim for each condition for 12 months, outside of that it won't be covered

morethan were the only ones I found that would do a for life policy with Lady when I registered her age 9 - I am on their premium policy so not sure if its just that one (but to be honest their premium is worth it anyway)

Offline GwynPerdi&Benson

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 02:07:05 AM »
Thank you I have gone with Morthan the lifetime cover and £12.000 with no percentage for £28 they were really helpful and it was good to talk on the phone instead of doing it online as I could say we don't know exactly how old she is and we don't what her parents were and we have claimed for one bad episode for tummy bug which he said was OK as its not an ongoing condition.  The excess is £150 but I hope I've done the right thing

Thank you for your help

Xx

Love Chris and Perdi xx

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
good thing is you only pay 150 excess once per year no matter how many different ailments which is brill