Florence

Author Topic: Ugly Yellow Bag  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Boing

• Harvey & Poppy
Ugly Yellow Bag
« on: November 08, 2015, 13:42:15 PM »
Hi All,

I'm not sure if any one has come across the story of the "Ugly Yellow Bag"  which has been raising money for a lot of good causes over the last few months. Please see its story below >

The yellow accessory was donated to a church in Worcestershire, but thought too hideous to be a raffle prize. Instead fundraiser Gill Edmonds put it on eBay with the tag 'no redeeming features', and it sold for £26. Since March it has been auctioned by six owners and has raised over £4,700 for different charities.

It started it's life as we know it, as a donation to a church intended to raise funds for a new roof. Gill from Great Whitley listed it on eBay and the legacy of the 'Ugly Yellow Handbag' was born. This amusing listing caught the attention of BBC Hereford and Worcester radio presenter Malcolm Boyden so he invited Gill onto the radio to try and raise as much as possible, that eBay auction raised £25 for the church roof.

Next a lady named Gemma received the Ugly Yellow Handbag in the post. After some quick investigation it transpired Gemma's husband bought the bag as a joke after hearing Gill on the radio. Gemma then decided to use the bag to raise funds for a cause close to her own heart - the setting up of a new cloth nappy library in the Forest of Dean. The ugly yellow handbag was back in action raising awareness for its second cause! The bag raised £24 for the library.

It was bought by Jannicke in Norway. Jannicke has a little girl who was born prematurely so she then decided to auction the bag again for its third cause, to raise money for her local neonatal intensive-care unit who looked after them all so well. This time it sold for £94 for the Norwegian NICU http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ugly-Yellow-Handbag-Part-2-/251938524931 .

It was bought by Jayne in Worcester who's husband has recently passed away from Cancer, she bought the bag with the intention to auction again, but never got around to this while she dealt with her grief. She was then contacted by Jannicke asking to buy the bag back to auction for her friend Natalie who was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer and she very kindly donated it back, but she did start off the tradition for people to leave little souvenirs inside to take on its journey helping people, and the contents is a secret for only ugly yellow bag owners to see and be part of.

Natalie then received the bag from Jannuicke and shared her story with the public. Mother-of-four Natalie, was diagnosed with bladder cancer in May and is undergoing chemotherapy. She raised £1,090 for a charity called 'Team Verricco', which supported her when she was getting a second opinion on her cancer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ugly-Yellow-Handbag-raising-money-for-Cancer-Patients-/261955062872.  The bag was then bought by the Cake Decorating Company who continued to fundraise for Team Verricco raising an additional  £1,800 through various fundraising and sold it again on eBay for an amazing £1,752!

The bag was bought by a mystery shopper who expressed that they wished the bag to be passed on to a supporter of Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity to raise money for the hospital that was close to their heart. That is how the bag was to become in to my possession.....the reason I am a supporter is my son Noah was  was born in July 2008 with congenital heart disease . He had his first operation at 2 hours old and his first open heart surgery at 7 days at GOSH. Noah spent six months on and off in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) and underwent three open heart surgeries . Throughout that time we lived at GOSH in the Parent’s accommodation with Noah’s twin Sister and we spent every day at Noah’s side. It was a brutally stressful period that our entire family endured.
Noah is now seven and currently thriving; we return to GOSH every year as outpatients and we consult with GOSH on what we as Parents can do to assist his recovery and development.

I really want to be able to give back for everything GOSH have and continue to do for Noah and the support they give us as a family; as well as being able to share the voice of GOSH as widely as I can.  Please support this amazing hospital and help us to raise as much as possible for the 'Ugly Yellow Bag'.

So the story continues with the bag soon to be in my possession and hopefully the bag can continue its story by raising some much needed funds for Four Paws.

The lady I purchased it off will be back doing an interview on BBC Hereford & Worcester tomorrow morning with Malcom Boyden and has kindly offered to mention the next charity the "Ugly Yellow Bag" will be helping, Zoe will also continue its story on her social media pages to help us get as much publicity as possible and will be passing my details on to the radio station.

Once I've received the bag it will again be put on eBay and I will post the link on here so we can get as much coverage as possible for the "Ugly Yellow Bag" on its Four Paws journey.

Thanks

Scott

Offline Maggie

• Fundraising
Re: Ugly Yellow Bag
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 14:11:16 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Wow Scott I am absolutely blown away by the fantastic journey the Ugly Yellow Bag has been on, raising amazing amounts of money for the various charities involved, there are wonderful people out there including yourself  angel.gif, I'll be looking forward to see what will be the Ugly Yellow Bags next destination. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Luv my 3 Yorkies Ruby, Ben & Alfie & JR X Chi Mad Mikey   & my beautiful Bridge babies Tom, Granny, Lucy, Oscar, Benjy & Pepsi.

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
    • Friends of Hailey Park (Cardiff)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 01:27:02 AM »

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »

That sounds amazing Scott!  Thank you  :)
Fran, Dexter, Princess Maisie and Anya xx
Bridge babies Barnaby & Mollie

Offline DizzyDogs

• Fosterers
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
Sounds great
Mad about dogs

Offline Boing

• Harvey & Poppy
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 08:54:10 AM »
The Auction has now started on eBay, feel free to share the link >>>>

Check out The Ugly Yellow Handbag (Charity Auction) ebay.co.uk/itm/2317746154… @eBay

Offline Maggie

• Fundraising
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »
 :) :) :) :) :) Good luck with the auction & hope those lovely people out there dig deep in their pockets.xxxxxxxxx
Luv my 3 Yorkies Ruby, Ben & Alfie & JR X Chi Mad Mikey   & my beautiful Bridge babies Tom, Granny, Lucy, Oscar, Benjy & Pepsi.

Offline shepherd lover

• Trustee - Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 22:23:52 PM »

Thank You for supporting us, We'll get it shared on our facebook page.
COULD YOU OPEN YOUR HEART & HOME UP BY FOSTERING? HELP US TO HELP MORE POUNDIES

Offline Boing

• Harvey & Poppy
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 16:01:18 PM »
Thanks, That would be great if we could get it on the Facebook page

Offline Boing

• Harvey & Poppy
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 20:27:06 PM »
The auction has now finished, I was hoping it would have done a little better but every bit helps. The £40.00 has now been paid via the just giving page x

Offline Maggie

• Fundraising
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 21:13:59 PM »
 :) £40 is pretty good & as you say........ every bit helps. xx

Offline DizzyDogs

• Fosterers
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 21:17:39 PM »
YAY that is fantastic well  done   :) :)
Mad about dogs