Florence

Author Topic: No. 40 Random bits & bobs for Autumn  (Read 15350 times)

Offline Judy

Re: No. 40 Random bits & bobs for Autumn
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 20:46:22 PM »
So, I walk across the fields surrounding Cheltenham racecourse, today someone at work said she had stopped walking there because of a speight of attempted dog thefts (dog fighting gangs) I think this is probably one of those rumours that has escalated out of proportion. However, I'm freaked out by this & so have decided not to go there for a while. Am I being stupid/paranoid?  I think walking on a Saturday or Sunday morning with my husband when there are quite a few people there will be fine, but I sometimes go up there on weekday afternoons when there are very few, if any, people there, but I think I won't do that now  :(
Beautiful, barmy Betsy, always full of fun!
Poppy cat & Tilly cat, living the dream :)
Maddy, always loved, never forgotten x

Rena

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 04:47:44 AM »
I would/am the same, where I live it's the same, so I stopped going out to places "known" for it. But luckily we have Action Petz here which is totally safe and also fun for the dogs, I do know they are branching out to Bristol and surrounding areas.
I know it's not as nice as walking across the field etc, but I would rather know my girls are safe than keep looking at ppl and thinking are you going to pinch my dog?
I also goto the beach for some outdoor fun x

Offline Maggie

• Fundraising
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 09:51:02 AM »
You're not being stupid/paranoid Judy, it's a sad world we live in where there seems to be a real lack of respect for people or their property, I don't (& never have actually) enjoyed walking the dogs, either of an off-lead dog or just not nice people.
My granddaughter Eve (11yrs) had an awful experience a few days ago, she'd been given a Bible by an elderly gentleman from the Gideon people who had visited the school & he asked her to promise to take care of it, Eve felt honoured to be entrusted with this request but on the way home some "not very nice school children took it off her & ripped it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, as Eve has only just started in "Comp" she just cannot understand why they did this & is having panic attacks & started sucking her thumb again :'(
Luv my 3 Yorkies Ruby, Ben & Alfie & JR X Chi Mad Mikey   & my beautiful Bridge babies Tom, Granny, Lucy, Oscar, Benjy & Pepsi.

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
    • Friends of Hailey Park (Cardiff)
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »
So, I walk across the fields surrounding Cheltenham racecourse, today someone at work said she had stopped walking there because of a speight of attempted dog thefts (dog fighting gangs) I think this is probably one of those rumours that has escalated out of proportion. However, I'm freaked out by this & so have decided not to go there for a while. Am I being stupid/paranoid?  I think walking on a Saturday or Sunday morning with my husband when there are quite a few people there will be fine, but I sometimes go up there on weekday afternoons when there are very few, if any, people there, but I think I won't do that now  :(

I would speak to local police or PCSOs

I had an argument with a friend on fb re an area near me and similar thing and I asked had it been checked out and she said I was being picky etc (story was lots of burglaries and dogs being stolen and they even threw a police officer making enquiries in the local pub re this into the mix) so I spoke to the local PCSOs in that area (found out who they were online) and they said that ONE dog had gone missing (as in got lost) and had since been found but nothing else

There are many rumours of this sort every day somewhere and I go on the basis of I don't believe it till I've checked my sources (despite arguments I have with people over the fact they say their sources, ie, other dog walkers are the better ones when in reality they're often spreading Chinese whispers around)

Fear of the fear is by far the worst of our fears and the one thing that will cripple us ;)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:18:35 AM by FrankieBeee »

Offline Judy

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 20:18:02 PM »
I'm very lucky as I live near a large park where there are lots of dog walkers that I know well & people walking through in general, it's a nice, safe place, so I intend to stick to going there for the forseeable future. It's a shame though, as sometimes it's nice to walk in isolation  :(  Frankiebeee, I will mention it to the police, can't do any harm, & Maggie, that's awful!!! The school should be informed, I work in a secondary school, we take incidents like this very seriously, it doesn't matter that it took place outside school.

Offline Maggie

• Fundraising
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 21:11:02 PM »
Judy my daughter intends to let the school know (if she hasn't already) & it happened on the school bus on the way home. >:(
Luv my 3 Yorkies Ruby, Ben & Alfie & JR X Chi Mad Mikey   & my beautiful Bridge babies Tom, Granny, Lucy, Oscar, Benjy & Pepsi.

Offline FrankieBeee

• Global Moderator
    • Friends of Hailey Park (Cardiff)
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 22:46:00 PM »
I'm very lucky as I live near a large park where there are lots of dog walkers that I know well & people walking through in general, it's a nice, safe place

Park I walk is the same but sadly someone gets an idea in their head and everyone thinks its the opposite (a woman was raped months ago in a park in the north of the city and everyone kept saying it was our park yet it wasn't near it) - sadly that's what happens a lot more these days than actual crimes, which is why I always suggest to people to check their sources - a lot of places are safer than we think or are led to believe ;)

This doesn't mean I'm cavalier about things - I always carry my mobile phone and a personal alarm in my bag - but I will carry on walking on my own if no one else around and never in the dark (unless its to and from shops etc.) but I still have never felt unsafe
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:55:10 AM by FrankieBeee »

Offline Judy

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 11:40:29 AM »
I became a Grandma yesterday!!! My first Grandchild, my son & his wife have given us a beautiful little Grandson!! 

Offline Dianne

• Neutering Administrator
  • Pip and Maggie May
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »
Congratulations all around :) :)
"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole"

Offline kempy12

• Adoption Co-Ordinator
  • Fosterers
  • Lexie and Jasper ♥
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »
Fantastic news Judy. Congratulations to all! X
2011 - 2015  We re-homed 68 dogs!  05/03/2016  Teddy 21/08/2016 Pumba

♥Sleep tight; Pursil Cat 03|12|12 - Simpkin cat 31|10|12 - Tommy Thumb 13|12|11

Offline Maggie

• Fundraising
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 13:02:18 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) There's no better feeling than seeing your 1st grandchild for the 1st time, I thought I'd be all "oooing, arrring, crying & jabbering but ................ I was SPEECHLESS & those who know me this is very "not me" ;), my 1st thoughts were "I'll die for you", it's a different kind of love to when you have your own children.
Love, hugs & Congratulations all round............ piccies would be luffly Judy ;). xxxx

Offline Skye

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 14:21:27 PM »
Big congratulations and I agree with everything that Maggie says.  I have 3 grandsons - 13yrs, 4yrs and 1yr - it certainly keeps you young xxxxxxx

Offline Judy

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 17:07:48 PM »
I just kept kissing his perfect little head!! I loved him before he was born, but I am now totally in love with him!  :) Thanks for your good wishes xxx

Offline Judy

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »
So, the good news keeps coming! On Tuesday my lovely Vet rang me & offered me a job as morning receptionist, just 3 days a week! Obviously I accepted, I start next month & I just can't wait!!!!  He said he needed someone who could chat easily & reasure clients & so thought of me, who'd have though being a chatterbox would land me my dream job!!!  ;D

Offline Ruth

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 13:02:37 PM »
That's great news Judy. Many years ago I had a job in a veterinary surgery on reception and I loved it. It was the best job out of many I had. The receptionists at my vets are lovely so welcoming and interested in people and pets... its such an important role.