Florence

Author Topic: Advice needed please - training class issue  (Read 709 times)

Offline WelshAbbe

• Mummy to Barkley, a Four Paws doggy
Advice needed please - training class issue
« on: January 25, 2014, 18:14:13 PM »
Hi all, I hope I can get some advice/information as I'm feeling a bit uneasy about something after attending an introductory session at Rockwood Dog Training today. The talk was very encouraging and the trainer came across as very caring. She stressed that they used positive reinforcement in their training methods and then went on to recommend various items of equipment (some of which they sold on the premises) including the Halti training lead (which I had heard of) and an Ancol collar. I bought a collar and a lead at the end of the session, but when I got home I noticed that the collar is a half-check collar and on doing some research I am not really happy about using one of these as it appears to be used as an aversive training method.

I'm not sure what to do now! Another lady asked if she could continue to use the harness she had been using and she was told that she could but that training might take longer with a harness. If the only reason for using a collar (particularly this kind of collar) is quicker training then that's not a good enough reason for me. Considering the ethos of the school I'm surprised they are recommending this collar. Might I have misunderstood? Like I said, I only realised what type of collar it was when I got home so I couldn't ask about it while I was there... She did talk about spiked collars and aggressive training methods, which she said would not be tolerated and that you would be asked to leave it you were aggressive to your dog.

I've paid for this 10 week course up front. Like I said, everything I heard/saw today was fine, it's just this collar issue. Any advice??? Thanks, Abbe (Barkley's owner)

Offline DextersMum

• Trustee
  • Administrator
  • Princess Maisie
Re: Advice needed please - training class issue
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 18:43:29 PM »

Abbe, I will PM you  :)
Fran, Dexter, Princess Maisie and Anya xx
Bridge babies Barnaby & Mollie