Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Bunter

Introduction
« on: October 24, 2009, 16:38:47 PM »
Congratulations on your new family member from Four Paws!

We hope you have a long and happy life together   :)

So, what now?

I’ve put together this simple guide to basic training with some hints and tips. I’m not (yet  ;) ) a qualified trainer or behaviourist and one size doesn’t fit all when it comes to dogs and how to train them. The dogs don't usually stay with me for long enough to get down to some serious training.  These are just some methods that I’ve found work for me with the foster dogs that I’ve been privileged to care for on behalf of Four Paws.

The basics of training are that it should be fun and enjoyable for both you and your dog. It should be positive, reward-based training only, ie when your dog does what you want him to do, he gets rewarded. Most dogs want to make their people happy. You just need to show him how to do that. Too often we tell our dogs what we don’t want from them by telling them ‘no’, but not what we do want from them. Praise the good and ignore the unwanted (where possible). Being consistent is essential or your dog won’t understand what is expected of him.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 20:53:19 PM by emilyjw »

Offline Bunter

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:38:10 AM »
The General Information board is intended to cover such things as:

* Keeping your dog safe - tags, microchips, what to do if your dog is lost.......
* The Dangerous Dogs Act
* Neutering
* Some basic training and behavioural issues:
Separation Anxiety
House Training
Puppy Biting / Mouthing
Jumping Up
Loose Lead Walking
Collars, leads, headcollars and harnesses
TTouch
Clicker Training

We insist that only positive, reward-based training methods are used – There is no exception to this rule.

Links to some good articles and recommended reading will be added.

This board will be added to and updated over time....