Florence

Author Topic: dog bite  (Read 900 times)

Offline GwynPerdi&Benson

dog bite
« on: May 23, 2013, 23:10:26 PM »
Hi

Perdi has recently been bitten by another dog.  It's puncture wound and tear.  The vet looked at it (from a distance as Perdi wouldn't let anyone near it) and gave antibiotics and pain killers.  Perdi seems ok and she can't actually reach it which the vet says is a good thing so she can't lick it.  I think it may itch as she is rolling around and has made it bleed again.  It is nearly a week now and it looks ok  but it's difficult to try and stop her rolling around.

Do you have any tips on what we could bathe it with or put on it or around it, to stop other dogs trying to smell it and to keep any insects away from it whilst we are out.  Benson has been a very good boy and has not bothered her at all.

Do you think after a week it should be better and what is the likelihood of there being an abscess underneath it.  How would we know if she had a temperature.  I know that may sound like a silly question but she was licking my hand tonight and her tongue felt very hot ?? I thought - more than usual..

I'm probably being overly anxious (it's my job !!) but I do worry and want to do the best for her.

Thank you

Christine

Offline BlueHooper

• Paws4Tea Co-Ordinator
Re: dog bite
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 23:29:43 PM »
Oh no how awful!

Tipsy while playing has caught our poor Muttley a couple of times! He has think skin so it always looks bad :( If it looks clean and she is eating and drinking ok my advice is leave well alone for it to heal. See how hot her nose is throughout the day - when resting she should have a colds nose - but the tongue may be warm.

Fingers crossed that it all heals up quickly! If you are concerned you should see the vet for a check up.

Dx 
Four Paws Bo, Muttley and Tipsy
Remembering Molly, Teddy, Japser and Louis

Offline DizzyDogs

• Fosterers
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:02:05 AM »
If you think it is not improving take her back to the vets but it will take a time.  You can bathe in a light salt solution but if it is not bothering her just leave it.  Is she still on antibiotics. Just keep an eye on it.  Poor Perdi Benson will have to give her a hug.  It does not matter if she has the odd lick as long as she is not taking the scab off.  Hope she is better soon.
Mad about dogs

Offline Lydia

• Niziblian Jewellery
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:33:23 AM »
Sugar cat keeps getting bitten on her foot (fleeing from a local nasty Tom) and gets recurring abscesses which burst and are amazingly big and bleedy :-X
When the wounds are open, Vet advised us to wash gently with weak salt solution (from cooled boiled water & sea salt).  This tends to keep it clean while it heals up.  Hope Perdi is all better soon. x
Jewellery maker, Wife, Mum, Dog Fosterer, Accident Prone.

Offline GwynPerdi&Benson

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 23:17:45 PM »
Thank you very much

It does seem to be looking better now and she hasn't quite finished the antibiotics so hopefully it will be better by the time they are gone.

Thank you again

xxxxx