Florence

Author Topic: Congestive Heart Failure  (Read 865 times)

Offline honeymoo

Congestive Heart Failure
« on: January 16, 2013, 20:10:41 PM »
I have a rescued ex breeding bitch shih tzu, who I have had for 5 wonderful years, she is 10 in July.  She recently contracted kennel cough from who knows where and spent 3 weeks on anti biotics. Her coughing stopped for a few days but came back with a vengance yesterday.  When we visited the vet the first time and kennel cough was suspected she was given anti biotics; one week later not much improvement but a slight heart murmur was detected. Finally the coughing stopped, and I was delighted; but yesterday morning it was back and much worse, off to the vet this morning and she has now been diagnosed with congestive heart failure, the murmur is extremely pronounced and her breathing is very very rapid. We have been given, heart drugs, anti biotics and diuretics to see if any difference can be made to her, she is so poorly and I dearly hope that my lovely girl improves over the next few days or we shall have to consider her life quality, as for the moment she is to be kept quiet, no walks or unneccesary excitement.  Missy is my heart and soul; she has brought so much happiness into my life over the years which havent been good for me either.  At the moment she lays beside me, sleeping but breathing  very fast almost twice the natural respirations. Honey who is my Four Paws rescue is by her side and follows her wherever she goes, sisterly love.   I need you to be aware that in an older dog kennel cough can result in causing unnecessary stress on the heart with the coughing and wretching that it causes, and if your dog is elderly problems can arise like this.

Offline Maggie

• Fundraising
Re: Congestive Heart Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 20:39:52 PM »
 :'( I'm soooo sorry to hear about Missy, I'm sending lot's of gentle healing thoughts for her & hopes she'll be feeling much better very soon, please let us know how she's doing. xxx
Luv my 3 Yorkies Ruby, Ben & Alfie & JR X Chi Mad Mikey   & my beautiful Bridge babies Tom, Granny, Lucy, Oscar, Benjy & Pepsi.

Offline DizzyDogs

• Fosterers
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 20:55:14 PM »
Sorry to hear this it is the hardes part of having animals when they are so unwell sending lots of hugs
Mad about dogs

Offline love our poundies

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 21:06:37 PM »
poor baby , Its so hard for you too when they are ill , sending much love to you all xx
Good to be back  x x x

Offline LoveMyDogs

• Proud Mum to Sasha, Tillie, Rosie & Mason
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 21:39:11 PM »
Sending healing thoughts & love to you & Missy xx
Dog ownership is like a Rainbow .... puppies are the joy at one end & older dogs the treasure at the other.